GMC/Chevrolet Truck/SUV When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

1998 Silverado Rear Tail Lighting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck1998 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Silverado Rear Tail Lighting Problem

I am new to the forum and looking for some help with a electrical problem on a 1998 Chevy pickup. Here is what is happening.

First I have checked all the fuses and they are good. Have also looked at all the bulbs in both rear light assemblies and they are good.

Left and right turn signals work and brake lights work when they are used individually. When brakes are applied with either turn signal on, they blink rapidly. Brake light on back of cab works correctly.

When the headlights are turned on, I have no tail lights, brakes lights do not work and turn signals in the back do not work. Turn signals in the front do work. Also the backup lights do not come on when the truck is in reverse. Any help work be great!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Retired Administrator

True Car Nut

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts
GunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud of

What is the Make and model of your 1998? First thing the comes to mind is the ground wire from the rear electric that ties to the frame underneath the truck bed is frayed. It is easy to check on S10 trucks, not sure on full size GM trucks.
The following users liked this post:
truck1998 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM
True Car Nut

Received 579 Likes on 497 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute

it says full size in his profile. i would guess since they work sometimes and not others its the turn/hazzard switch. everything on the truck goes through this on that truck
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Posts like a Camaro

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
rjblazer has a spectacular aura aboutrjblazer has a spectacular aura about

I would say to check the ground in the rear of the truck. The reverse lights don't go though the multifunction switch.
The following users liked this post:
truck1998 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
True Car Nut

Received 579 Likes on 497 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute

thats true, i guess i would clean the grounds too, then see what you have. it just seems weird that it would work sometimes and other times not. the circuit board on those is a pretty common failure too if i remember right i had to replace both fixtures on my old pickup
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck1998 is on a distinguished road

Got it fixed. the ground wire in the rear of the truck had come loose. Reconnected and all lights work. Thanks for the idea on what to check!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Posts like a Camaro

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
rjblazer has a spectacular aura aboutrjblazer has a spectacular aura about

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM

True Car Nut

Received 573 Likes on 504 Posts
WilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamE has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, glad you got it fixed, thanks for updating us.