Chevrolet When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Impala LS 2000 No Start Condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Posts like a Supercharger

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
danihound will become famous soon enough
Default Impala LS 2000 No Start Condition

Hi i have an impala ls 2000 with a no start condition, this is what and how it happened:

i was travelling on the highway at 60 mph, i had already traveled like 497 miles with the car from my home to another city, then it happened, the RPM went down and the car shut down, i parked it, and tried to start it again, it did crank and start BUT it died right away, then tried again the car started then after 15 secs the rpms went down again and the car shut down, had to town it home.

what could it be? what should i check? im going to town it to a professional mechanic but i would like to know with what im dealing.

thanks in advise
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Retired

Certified Car Nut

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,304 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a number of things. Fuel pump, MAF sensor, ignition components etc. Who knows. Without proper diagnostics done, we could guess all day long.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM

true true.

well i will post the diagnostic tomorrow
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM

True Car Nut

Received 1,084 Likes on 832 Posts
Tech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond reputeTech II has a reputation beyond repute

Simple test, is have a can of carb cleaner handy, when car won't start......remove the air snorkel from the throttle body(leave IAT sensor connected)....have someone crank vehicle while you spay carb cleaner at throttle plate....if car starts and runs as long as you spray, it is a fuel delivery problem(if it doesn't start, check for spark)....if you feel the injectors clicking while cranking the car, it is getting an injector pulse...more than likely you have low, no fuel pressure....a gauge installed on the fuel rail will verify this......

Also, pop the vac line off that f/p regulator to see if there is fuel in the vac line....

If fuel pressure is ok, try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see if the car starts....
The following 2 users liked this post by Tech II:
danihound (07-28-2014), WilliamE (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM
True Car Nut

Received 579 Likes on 497 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute

seems like they just want to know if they can trust the mechanic?

common engine quit items on a gm are icm, maf, crank sensor, fuel pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by jwfirebird:
danihound (07-28-2014), WilliamE (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM

hi, thanks for the answers.

i taked the car to a trusty mechanic got it checked in the scanner, showed a MAF sensor problem, but he also checked everything else, the gas return valve is bad it leaks gasoline, the fuel pump is not sending fuel with enought pressure either.

and tech II the mechanic did what you said too.

Thanks everyone , will update went the problem is solved, time to change some parts.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 PM

update:

the no start condition is gone, the fuel pump was disconected, the cables were damaged,so changed the cables and conectors and now works fine.

but in the process we found that the left trailing arm was damaged so time to change it.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Retired

Certified Car Nut

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,304 Posts
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

So you ran over something?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mike1995
So you ran over something?
Could be, probably a rock in the road or something.

Now the fuel pump is working good with a constant pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Mike (07-30-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:42 PM

hi guys im back from some work.

i decided to change the fuel pump since it was starting to fail, stalls, not enough fuel pressure.

i bought and got installed this one.

New Carter Electric Fuel Delivery Pump P74928M Impala Monte Carlo Grand Prix | eBay

is it good?

Quick Reply: Impala LS 2000 No Start Condition